Monday 9 March 2015

What inspired me to write The Other Place Plus video introduction

For many years, I suffered from claustrophobia that affected my life in many ways. I disliked being in a room without a window being open or the door being slightly ajar. Lifts were out; I would walk up a thousand steps rather than travel in one The fear of being trapped was very real.
Over the years my fear grew, and after being involved in a car accident my fears increased. I found travelling in a car became frightening unless I had a window open. Travelling by public transport became a huge no. I could not open a window or a door due to automatic locking systems.
I remember once when we were out and about my husband popped into a shop while I waited in the car. For some reason he forgot and locked the car from a distance. I nearly passed out and had a panic attack. How embarrassing it is living with this phobia.
If we booked theatre tickets or went to the cinema, I always had to sit near an exit and at the end of the row. If not I didn't go. There were many places over years that I stopped visiting. It was easier to refuse invitations than admit to my phobia. The feeling of being trapped is very real to people who suffer from claustrophobia. 
One night I was thinking about writing another book when I thought why not write about a girl who suffers from claustrophobia. Suddenly Chrissie and Babs came into my mind, followed by the rest of their family.
The story more or less wrote itself; Chrissie suffered from claustrophobia because of something that happened to her when she was a child. Chrissie's story in no way reflects my story. Her story is a world away from my life. My phobia was the stepping stone into her life.
I found it helped me to write Chrissie's story. Helpful because I began to understand more about claustrophobia. I was truly amazed at just how many people suffer from it, and I discovered there is a lot of help for sufferers. 

Available from Amazon Kindle and in paperback
Short video introduction



About The Other Place
Number 1 Amazon Kindle Best Seller (Supernatural and Reincarnation Category)

Chrissie James is a troubled soul: with family problems, unexplained phobias and a stalker to contend with, she seeks help with a hypnotherapist. Whilst in therapy, Chrissie discovers she has led a past life.
Will living a previous life help Chrissie to discover the truth of what caused her fears and phobias, and will she find out who is stalking her?
The Other Place is a paranormal mystery. Its many twists and turns will keep you guessing to the very end.

A few reader comments
The most recent being today from Ali Cooper via Facebook - 9th March 2015
  • A lovely book. I'm glad I put it aside (although I effectively read most of it twice) and restarted it from the beginning when I had the time to enjoy it properly. It's easy and compelling to read but the story is deceptively complex and it's well worth scheduling it for when you can really concentrate and get into it.
Misty Blue
This book is well worth a look for the sheer originality and compassion the author shows in her writing and in her characters.

S Douthwaite
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I felt drawn in and invited into a lovely story with emotional twists, supernatural wonder and family values. I love the way the author cleverly dips the characters in and out a past life. The story really flows. I found this an unusual plot and very good, especially the ending. The Other Place is a very special place. 

The Other Place is available from Amazon Kindle and in paperback.

No comments: